My husband and I have raised three children and I have personally known hundreds of young families with new babies. If I had one word, or bit of advice I would give to each family, it would be to READ to your child everyday.. beginning in infancy. Even during middle of the night feedings I would read age appropriate books for my children to listen to! Reading to your young child :
- Is comforting, it creates a bond between the child and the reader as you snuggle together to read the story
- Helps your child create a vivid imagination
- Gives your child a chance to talk about the pictures in the book
- Teaches to read just for the pleasure of reading
- Instills a lifelong love of reading
- Gives your child a role model to hear our oral language read correctly
- Teches your child (as he/shegets older)he/ to start to learn the relationship between letters/sounds/words that are used to put our spoken language into print
- Develop eye hand coordination as he/she begins to point to and read simple text.
Don’t be surprised if your child asks for a favorite story over and over again. This is normal behavior and it should not worry you. Your child receives great comfort from hearing a familiar and predictable story time after time.
“One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child.“