There are many ways for a Kindergartner to practice graphing skills over the holiday break. Many people will be coming in and out of your house and this is a good time to occupy your child with an educational activity. He/she could carry a clipboard and ask family members and visitors one of the following questions and then he/she could count and graph the responses:
- Favorite pie choice of all family members and guests
- Favorite holiday cookie choice of all family members and guests
- Favorite holiday song of all family members and guests
- Favorite holiday book of all family members and guests
- Favorite activity for the snow of all family members and guests
- Packages under the tree can be sorted by wrapping paper color, or bow color
- How many family members are dressed in holiday colors
- Once gifts are opened your child can sort his/hers by toys, clothing, games, etc.
Kindergartners like these types of graphing activities. After all of the counting is done, he/she can draw a simple bar graph to show family members the answers to the questions. Let your child have fun with math while talking and interacting with all of the members of the family as well as all of your guests.