4th quarter is upon us and your child will be expected to reach several academic benchmarks by the end of Kindergarten. This week I am giving you checklists for each major academic area in order for you to see how your child is progressing towards reaching all of the Kindergarten benchmarks. Please take some time to review the skills listed and ask yourself this question, “Is MY child able to successfully achieve ALL of these skills consistently and independently without adult help?” If your child is experiencing difficulty mastering these kindergarten skills, it may indicate a struggle next year in first grade.
- Demonstrates a developing knowledge of phonics by using sounds and letters when writing
- Writes using strings of letters
- Writes own first and last name WITHOUT looking at their nametag using only upper case letters for first letters and lower case letters for all other letters. Sample: Mary Smith
- Demonstrates a developing knowledge of spacing between words
- Begins to read own writing
- Shares ideas
- Communicates ideas that are related to the topic being discussed by drawing and writing about the topic