Getting everyone ready for school and out of the house on time is a challenging situation that many families face every day. Morning routines are a struggle for children as well. Here are some tried and true tips that will help your family share a more relaxed morning together.
The night before:
- All homework, signed papers and forms and other school tools should be packed into backbacks
- Backpacks ready for school should be lined up by the front door BEFORE bed
- Lay out clothes for the morning (many children need choices so it is best if mom/dad choose 2 or 3 outfits and then allow the child to choose in the morning)
- Many families lay out 5 outfits for the week on Sunday evening..a big time saver
- Make lunches for the morning, Kindergartners and first graders are old enough to help pack a lunch.
In the morning:
- Have the kids dress BEFORE doing anything else (even before using the bathroom)
- Ban TV, computer and video games. They really only slow the process down
- Create a set of laminated cards for your nonreader that show pictures in the order that he/she should be doing any morning activities/chores that must be done before leaving the house. This is a great time management tool.
- If your child now has a few extra minutes because of no TV, computers or video games, he/she can READ!!
- Get your child out of the house ON TIME onto the bus…not into your car. The school bus is the best way to start the day with friends and allows mom and dad to get to work without rushing to school.